© Shreya Mathur. Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Change? haha! To hell with that :D


|| This post takes up from where my previous post left. Change is good : Point three. ||


So I am done with the experiment. Okay, i admit: it failed miserably.

  ^ Haha :)


I mean, yes, for a few days, it worked perfectly well. Though I had to restart a couple of times each day, it was all worth it. People were responding. And giving me a thumbs up. And some even wanted to try it out. That was the best part.
So what went wrong, you ask?


Frankly, I've realised that I don't live in a habitat where you can afford to practice elitist vocabulary. Haha! What I mean is, that to survive in 21st century Noida, you have to be rough. Playing soft is not an option for an Indian female.

On the 31st, I was in a bad mood- that would be an understatement. Very, very bad mood.Yeah, that's more like it! At around 4:30 pm, I was walking back home in the afternoon sunshine from my tuition center. On a broad, empty road. Alone.Which was OK! Except that I was on the point of boiling due to my foul mood.

From the front, a cycle-wallah was pedalling in my direction, and he made an obscene gesture towards me. Mom always tells me that when this happens, we should ignore and keep walking, because you never know what consequences pointing it out to them may have. But I was not emotionally stable that time, and that gesture just spilled over my patience. What had been intended for someone else (who had made me angry a short while ago) came out as a rush of the biggest hindi offensive I had ever heard (but mind you, never used.) I turned around, and shouted it out, pretty mindlessly. His cycle stopped... My heartbeat stopped. It was a lonely road. What if he decided to turn around?
After a 3-second pause, he resumed pedalling.He did not even look back. My heartbeat regained its composure.
And then, I was happy.It started with a smile, and moved to a grin, and changed over to such an expanse that I could fly.. So satisfied. Dignified. I could sing! I was Very contented. Needless to say, the foul mood vanished. :)

And thus,
I came to realise the importance that foul language has in modern day India.
A foul word a day keeps the dogs miles away. hehe.

From that time onwards, I do use all "oh...''s liberally. And "shit!" .Oh, what would I do without it!
Having said that, what is wrong, WILL remain wrong. And I will never, ever, advocate the use of "ma-behen ki gaali".
People around me know that, and take care to mind their language in my vicinity. I am glad.


Someday, when I am older, and live in the company of more polished forms of ourselves, I'll give up talking foul altogether. But as of now, its a long, winding road.




ps: this reminds me of my favourite poem, The Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost. Read it if you haven't yet. :)

1 comment:


Who's That Girl?

Who's That Girl?
Know someone who completes work, minutes After the deadline, ALWAYS? If not, let me introduce myself. :) If you are what you eat, then I'd be an Ivy Gourd. Or, maybe a Capsicum... But never, ever an onion. Who wants to be an onion anyway? I don't want to make others cry :\ I love deep verses, witty quotes, new words, quirky info, and accidental alliterations (noticed one here?). Sometimes I talk in pairs, for e.g: rhyme and rhythm, songs and dance -all these complete me. I’m thirsty for knowledge, and highly forgetful (pair again). 5 hours ago, writing about me was daunting, but now I can’t stop. Whenever I remember that till now, I have no goal in life, I get scared but still can't care less. Yes, I am a bundle of contradictions with an opinionated mind. But 17 year olds can be awarded this much leniency, right?