© Shreya Mathur. Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

10 things 2010 taught me

At the cusp of the New Year, most of us take a little time out to ponder over the past and the future. The following was the outcome of my reflections, what I realized I learnt from the past year.

1)    Time soothes and heals all wounds.
Its true. In fact, it’s the universal truth. There was so much of the past I never thought I could get over, but today, I have.


2)   Secrets reveal themselves, or lose their importance.
I spent many sleepless nights over a mysterious bothering. I tried many ways to find out the truth, to get a clue, anything, everything, but couldn’t. Defeated, I let it be. There was nothing more I could do. Within two months, on their own, things became clearer. Hazy, but not opaque any more. Today, a whole year has passed since then, and even though I still don’t know the complete, real story, I’m contented. And, know what? Ignorance has indeed turned out to be blissful.
So, be content- the fretting doesn’t last.


3)     Everyone is a nicer person when not in a group.
I don’t know how to explain this. But it’s true. Talk to him alone, and he’s a gem. But dare approach him when he is with his clique, and he’s a radically different personality. This has taught me to never take a person on his/her face value. They have different faces. I’ve learnt to be happy with the one they have for me.


4)     The situation is neither good nor bad, but thinking makes it so.
Positive thinking is more important than I ever thought it to be. I started reading a self-help book on this, simply because there was nothing good to read at home, and it did wonders to my outlook. The next time, when a crisis struck, I tried to look at the silver lining, and guess what? It works!


5)     Only I can make myself happy or sad, and Nobody else.
I realized that I govern my own moods, and as soon as I think that something is trivial, not worth fretting over, it IS trivial. And the next moment, I’m happy.


6)     People change, and your perception of them changes too.
The people I hated the most last new year’s eve are now the first ones I want to wish happy new year to, because they are the most important people in my life now.


7)     Those who I thought would remember me after 5 years forgot, but those  who I never gave importance to are the ones who remember me.
So, I’ve learnt to never, ever give anyone the rough treatment, because those who you thought were just hi-bye friends may be those who actually relish your friendship and make an effort to be a part of your life.


8)     Everyone doesn’t have to like you. Live with it, contented.
Till this year, I thought it was possible, to live with no enemies, and I tried very hard to be in everyone’s good books. In fact, I was very unhappy when I was told this, but gradually, I’ve come to accept it, and count my blessings instead. 


9)     No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
One day, I gave two rupees to a street beggar, though I don’t usually do this. I belong to the school of thought that beggars must find employment. Anyways, the old man quickly hopped over to the coconut seller, bought a few pieces, and sat down on the pavement to eat. Before eating, I saw him pray, and then, he looked at me and smiled. I have never felt so contented as then. 


10) In the end, doing what you love to do is the best Prozac.
I love painting, drawing, doodling. When did I realize this? When one day, I was sad for no reason and I picked up a crayon lying nearby and began to draw.  Though the end product wasn’t a real masterpiece, but I was very happy. More than when I ate the best dishes, talked to my best friends or watched a good tv show. My hobbies are the best anti-depressants available, ever.



Dear 2010, you’ve been amazing. More than I asked for... I’m gonna miss you.






7 comments:

  1. v.v.v.v well written..!! <3 it.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always knew u'd come up wid smthing lik this ....
    <3
    just fills me wid joy that i noe u ...!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. u noe wat!!I <3 uuuu

    seriously gal, the way u hv articulated things that most of us do notice but not actuallly comprehend....is remarkable!!

    So ms Shreya Mathur...congrats for writing such an awesum blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi :) It's amazing! I can totally relate to everything you've written...and i'm just so glad i got to know you <3 par yaar tere blog ko follow karne ki option abhi bhi nahi mili?
    Sukriti

    ReplyDelete
  5. as i told you ..you're awesome..and awesome is an understatement..
    if u don't become a writer/editoe or go into this line for your career..well..i'll be damned!
    :)
    shreya k

    ReplyDelete
  6. dnt read d whole thing due 2 laziness....bt i know its awsome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its amazing!! maybe m inspired..by positive thinking..!! :P
    no but really...its very good! :)

    ReplyDelete


Who's That Girl?

Who's That Girl?
Know someone who completes work, minutes After the deadline, ALWAYS? If not, let me introduce myself. :) If you are what you eat, then I'd be an Ivy Gourd. Or, maybe a Capsicum... But never, ever an onion. Who wants to be an onion anyway? I don't want to make others cry :\ I love deep verses, witty quotes, new words, quirky info, and accidental alliterations (noticed one here?). Sometimes I talk in pairs, for e.g: rhyme and rhythm, songs and dance -all these complete me. I’m thirsty for knowledge, and highly forgetful (pair again). 5 hours ago, writing about me was daunting, but now I can’t stop. Whenever I remember that till now, I have no goal in life, I get scared but still can't care less. Yes, I am a bundle of contradictions with an opinionated mind. But 17 year olds can be awarded this much leniency, right?